How's a girl supposed to say no to her husband when he asks so nicely for pie? I had all of the ingredients on hand so I whipped up this super lemony blueberry pie for an after dinner surprise.
Lemony Blueberry Pie
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus a pinch for filling
- 1/2 cup of cold water
- 4 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen, if frozen allow to thaw)
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar, plus a few teaspoons for topping
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- a few teaspoons of whole milk
To make the pie dough: in a large bowl, add the flour and salt and mix well. Add shortening and cut it into the flour mixture with a knife or your fingers, until it's the size of peas. Add a little bit of the water at a time until the dough forms into a ball. Don't overwork it! Place dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Makes 2 pie crusts.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, add half the blueberries and mash them slightly. Add the rest of the blueberries and the next 4 ingredients, mix well.
Halve dough into two rounds. Roll out first round and place in pie pan. Add filling. Roll out second pie crust and place on top of filling. Crimp edges and remove excess dough. Brush the top with whole milk and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Cut at least 3 vents in crust.
Bake 40-50 minutes. Cool to room temperature for filling to set. Serve plain or with ice cream, whipped cream or greek yogurt.