Okay, so you might say that making your own hamburger buns is a little time consuming. But, I would tell you that they taste SO MUCH BETTER than the cardboard, flavorless buns you will buy at the grocery store.
Homemade Sandwich Rolls
adapted from King Arthur Flour recipe
- 1 package active dry yeast (7 grams)
- 1 cup lukewarm water (110-115 F.)
- 1/4 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 3 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (up to half can be white whole wheat)
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- sesame or poppy seeds
1. In a small bowl dissolve yeast in the warm water, stir in sugar and allow to sit until bubbly, 5-10 minutes.
2. Mix all of the dough ingredients together including the yeast mixture. Knead either by hand (on a floured surface, adding flour as needed), mixer, or bread machine until you get a soft, smooth dough.
3. Put the dough in an large, oiled bowl, cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
4. Gently deflate the dough. On a floured board or counter top divide dough into 8 equal pieces, shape each piece into a circle about 1" thick and flatten to about 3" across. Place the buns on a lightly greased baking sheet, cover, and let rise for about an hour or until very puffy.
5. Preheat oven to 375°F. Beat egg with 1 tablespoon water, brush over tops and sprinkle with seeds.
6. Bake for 12 to 16 minutes until lightly golden. Cool on wire racks.
My little guy loved them!