My husband made this Cooks Illustrated recipe for Creamy Tomato Soup. It was superb. I found this write-out of the recipe on seriouseats.com. Enjoy!
Creamless Creamy Tomato Soup
from Cooks Illustrated
- 2 Tbs. EVOO
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 med. garlic cloves minced
- 1/8 t. hot red pepper flakes (optional --- and I used more)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (28oz) cans whole tomatoes
- 2 t. sugar
- 2 large slices good quality white sandwich bread, torn into 1 in. pieces
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- table salt and ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over med-high heat. Add onion, garlic and red pepper, stirring, until onions are translucent. Add bay leaf and tomatoes. Using spoon, press tomatoes against side of pot to release juices. Stir in sugar and bread. Cook, stirring constantly, until bread starts to break down (5 min).
2. Transfer soup to blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Return soup to pot and stir in chicken broth, bring to a boil and season with S&P. Serve in bowls and sprinkle with black pepper, chives, and a drizzle of olive oil.